Clark Scores in First Minute, Women’s Soccer Ties Hamilton After Overtime

SOMERVILLE - Tufts Women's Soccer scored in the first 30 seconds at Kraft Field, but Hamilton College knotted it up later in the first half, leading to a 1-1 draw in NESCAC action on Sunday. 

Junior Tally Clark scored the second goal of her career on Sunday.

Tufts got things started very early on Sunday, as junior Tally Clark headed in a perfect entry pass from senior Taylor Koscho. This came just 35 seconds into the game, and acted as an ideal start for Tufts. Koscho lifted a crossing ball from just outside the box over the head of the defense. Clark slipped behind the Continental defenders and patiently waited for the pass to take a bounce before swinging her head, netting the ball in the top right corner.

Jumbo junior defender Sarah Maloney played as well as she has all year, utilizing her speed and athleticism to beat Continental forwards to the ball, and chase down ball handlers from behind. She played as part of a three-player backline that has held up fantastic for Tufts all year. 

Hamilton was not to be outdone, as junior forward Alex Fontana was able to find some space near the top of the box. She put a few dribble moves on to free herself, then picked her corner perfectly just inside the left post, outside the reach of goalkeeper Emily Bowers in the 36th minute. 

The teams entered the half tied on the scoreboard at one, which would be the final score. To put into perspective just how even this matchup was, both teams fired 18 shots throughout the 110-minute game.

Tufts senior Emma Ranalli played smart, showing why she earned a co-captain title this year. In the second half, following a corner kick, Ranalli stepped in front of a shot that would have been a goal, preventing a potential loss. Freshman Lily Sykes did all you could ask today as well, winning many balls out of the air, despite a significant height difference most of the time. 

Tufts' offensive attack was led by sophomore Sophie Lloyd with five total shots. Koscho also fired three long shots in addition to her first assist of the season, threatening from distance. Goalkeeper Emily Bowers stopped about all that she could saving five of six shots she faced, with the one goal coming from pin-point placement.

Hamilton was led on offense by Katie McKillop with five shots, followed up by Fontana who scored on one of her two shots. Sophomore goalkeeper Rachel Pike rebounded well after allowing a goal on her first shot faced, as she stopped seven balls total.

Hamilton will return to the field next Saturday when they travel to Amherst. The Jumbos return to the field on Saturday as well when the make the trip to Middlebury for a 1:30 pm game.


Written By Athletic Communications Intern Garrett Kerr