Tufts Women's Soccer Edges Wesleyan in Defensive Showdown

MEDFORD - Persistence paid off for Tufts as its defense led to offense for the Jumbos' fourth straight shutout victory on Wednesday, 2-0 at home over Wesleyan.

Freshman forward Melina McDevitt earned her first collegiate points

In the second conference matchup of the year for Tufts, defense proved to be a focal point. Much of the first half was a battle for possession around midfield, where junior Jenna Troccoli pretty much had her way. She was able to utilize her speed and awareness to set up a few through balls, which led to scoring opportunities.

With just five minutes left to play in the first half, a Wesleyan player committed a costly handball inside the box. The Jumbos elected junior Izzy Moore to take the penalty kick, which proved to be a wise decision as Moore connected with her second goal in as many games. The Wesleyan goalkeeper had actually guessed correctly, yet Moore delivered a steady shot just inside the right post, just out of the keeper's reach.

In a game where shots on goal were tough to come by, Tufts goalkeeper Emily Bowers held strong, saving all three shots on goal she faced. This marks the fourth straight shutout to begin the season for Bowers, now a senior on the Jumbos' roster. It's the 20th shutout of her career, four shy of the Tufts record of 24 held by Randee McArdle from 1997-2000.

The defensive backs for Tufts came to play as they always do this year, holding Wesleyan as a team to just three total shots. Senior back Taylor Koscho was everywhere for the Jumbos, as she did a great job keeping the ball in the Tufts offensive end, shielding off any midfielders who dared challenge her.

With just ten minutes left in the game, Tufts went on another attack with fresh legs from the bench. Freshman forward Melina McDevitt scored her first career goal, off a beautiful assist from fellow freshman Lily Keiderling. The assist from Keiderling also marks her first point of her college career.

The Jumbos were led by McDevitt who put three shots up during the game, connecting on her final one.

For the visitors, Katie Stewart-Frizzel was able to put a shot on goal, while Andi Wiley shot twice. Sarah Hammond saved three balls in net.

Tufts will stay home to face off against Bates Saturday, September 15th at noon. Wesleyan will return home on Saturday to face Bowdoin.


Written by Athletic Communications Intern Garrett Kerr