No. 8 Women's Lacrosse Upset at Home by No. 11 Trinity in NESCAC Quarterfinal

MEDFORD, Mass. – The Tufts University women's lacrosse team lost in the NESCAC Quarterfinals, 12-10, to Trinity College Saturday afternoon at Bello Field.

Adamec recorded five points on the afternoon.

This makes the second year in a row that the Jumbos (12-4, 8-2 NESCAC) fell in the conference quarterfinals to the Bantams (11-5, 6-4), losing last year's matchup at Trinity. Tufts came in to today as the three seed in the NESCAC tournament whereas Trinity was the six seed.

Dakota Adamec had an extremely strong performance in the loss. She scored three goals, recorded two assists, had five draw controls, picked up one ground ball, and caused one turnover. Emily Games had two goals and an assist for the Jumbos as Annie Sullivan and Caroline Nowak both scored twice. Catherine Lawliss picked up a goal as well. Audrey Evers recorded eight saves in goal.

For the Bantams, Allie Barrett led the way with three goals and two assists. Kiley Coffey contributed three goals and one assist, while Grace O'Donnell and Kendall Milligan each had two goals. Jennifer Cook scored one and assisted twice and Sophie Berger scored one goal. On defense, Sarah Montalbano caused a game-high three turnovers. Zoe Ferguson had a big day with 13 saves in net.

The contest was tight the entire way, with neither team ever leading by more than two. The Jumbos led, 9-8, with 16 minutes remaining in the game after a free-position goal by Emily Games. But Trinity would control the game from there on out, finishing the second half on a 4-1 run with goals by Barrett, Berger, and two from Coffey.

The Jumbos wouldn't go down without a fight, as Annie Sullivan battled through multiple defenders to score an unassisted goal with seven minutes remaining to bring the score to 11-10, in favor of the Bantams. But Coffey would answer back less than a minute later for the final tally of the game for either side.

There was only one goal scored in nearly 20 minutes of game time. Nowak scored for Tufts five minutes in, but then no one was able to find the back of the net again until Cook scored for Trinity with 11 minutes remaining in the half. Both sides then proceeded to make up for lost time, combining for nine goals in the final ten minutes.

Tufts led, 3-1, after Adamec's first goal with eight minutes remaining in the half. They would take the lead again with under two minutes before halftime when Games scored on a free-position shot to make it 6-5 going into halftime.

Trinity will play in the semifinals next Saturday hosted by top seed Middlebury. As the lowest remaining seed, the Bantams will play Middlebury. The other semifinal will be between the second seed Amherst and fourth-seed Bowdoin.

As the eighth-ranked team in the country coming into this game, Tufts will almost certainly get a bid to play in the NCAA Tournament. They will have to wait a week to find out who, when, and where they will be playing.


Written by Curtis Stoychoff, Athletic Communications Intern