|Jay Glickman lost just five games in his two-set win at #3
LOS ANGELES - The Tufts men's tennis team posted a convincing 8-1 victory at Occidental College on Thursday to improve to 4-1 overall for the 2012-13 season.
The Jumbos are on their spring break trip and have now won two out of three matches. They swept doubles at Occidental, including an 8-2 #3 win by senior tri-captain Andrew Lutz (Baltimore, MD) and junior Matt Pataro (Miami, FL).
Tufts was mostly dominant in singles. At the bottom of the order, junior Austin Blau (Roslyn, NY) at #5 and freshman Rob Jacobson (Winnetka, IL) at #6 lost just two games in their matches. Freshman Jay Glickman (Chappaqua, NY) was a 6-2, 6-3 winner at #3 and Lutz tok a 6-3, 6-3 final on the fourth court.
Freshman Nick Telkedzhiev (Plovdiv, Bulgaria), Lutz, and Jacobson all had singles and doubles wins for the Jumbos.
Josh Dancu of Occidental earned their lone victory in the #1 singles contest, 6-1 and 6-3.
Tufts plays its final match of the spring trip against Greater Boston rival Babson on Friday at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. The Tigers will play another NESCAC opponent on Friday when they host Trinity College
Tufts 8, Occidental 1
1. Josh Dancu (O) def. Ben Barad (T) 6-1, 6-3
2. Nick Telkedzhiev (T) def. Stephen Perkins (O) 6-4, 7-6 (5)
3. Jay Glickman (T) def. Jordan Brown (O) 6-2, 6-3
4. Andrew Lutz (T) def. Kevin Siebs (O) 6-3, 6-3
5. Austin Blau (T) def. Jamie Grossman (O) 6-1, 6-0
6. Rob Jacobson (T) def. Kevin Zhao (O) 6-1, 6-0
1. Ben Barad/Rob Jacobson (T) def. Josh Dancu/Jordan Brown (O) 8-6
2. Mark Westerfield/Nick Telkedkhiev (T) def. Stephen Perkins/Jamie Grossman (O) 8-5
3. Andrew Lutz/Matt Pataro (TO def. Kevin Siebs/Avery Howard (O) 8-2