|Rob Jacobson was part of wins in doubles and singles for Tufts
CLAREMONT, CA - The 19th ranked Amherst men's tennis team won two out of three in doubles and five out of six in singles to earn a 7-2 NESCAC victory over Tufts in a match played at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps on Wednesday.
Jumbos Ben Barad (San Rafael, CA) and Rob Jacobson (Winnetka, IL) won an impressive 8-3 final over Andrew Scheiner and Aaron Revzin in the #1 doubles match. However, Tufts couldn't maintain the momentum. The Lord Jeff second pair of Mark Kahan and Russell Einbinder had an 8-3 win of their own.
Amherst took the top three singles matches easily. In the bottom half of the order, Jacobson won the lone Tufts singles point with a 6-4, 7-6 (3) score at #6. Einbinder defeated Tufts senior tri-captain Andrew Lutz (Baltimore, MD) in a second-set tie-breaker at #4. Scheiner needed three sets to knock out Tufts junior Austin Blau (Roslyn, NY) in the fifth match.
The loss was the first of the season for Tufts (3-1). The Jumbos get right back at it tomorrow when they play at Occidental. Amherst (5-4) is splitting its squad to play multiple matches each day of the week.
Amherst 7, Tufts 2
1. Mark Kahan (A) def. Ben Barad (T) 6-1, 6-1
2. Andrew Yaraghi (A) def. Nick Telkedzhiev (T) 6-2, 6-4
3. Ben Fife (A) def. Jay Glickman (T) 6-4, 1-6
4. Russell Einbinder (A) def. Andrew Lutz (T) 6-1, 7-6 (4)
5. Andrew Scheiner (A) def. Austin Blau (T) 6-3, 2-6, 6-1
6. Rob Jacobson (T) def. Aaron Revzin (A) 6-4, 7-6 (3)
T 3-1; A 5-4.