|Nick Telkedzhiev won in both doubles and singles for Tufts
ORANGE, CA - The Tufts men's tennis team opened its California spring break trip with a solid 7-2 victory at Chapman on Tuesday. The win improved the team's dual match record to 3-0 for the 2012-13 season.
Head coach Jaime Kenney's Jumbos took two out of three in doubles. Senior tri-captain Andrew Lutz (Baltimore, MD) and junior Matt Pataro (Miami, FL) were strong 8-3 winners in the #3 match. In first doubles, Chapman's Troy Akin and Bretty Buford took an 8-4 final over Jumbos Ben Barad (San Rafael, CA) and freshman Rob Jacobson (Winnetka, IL).
All five of Tufts' wins in singles came in straight sets. Jacobson lost just one game in the #6 match. Junior Austin Blau (Roslyn, NY) was impressive at #5, winning 6-1 and 6-3. One of three freshman in the starting six, Nick Telkedzhiev (Plovdiv, Bulgaria) was a 6-3, 6-3 victor at #2.
Nick Mulflur posted the lone Chapman win in singles, taking a close #4 match over Lutz 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (2).
Tufts will play NESCAC foe and #19 ranked Amherst on Wednesday at Claremont-Mudd-Scripps. Chapman plays Amherst on Thursday at 2 pm.
Tufts 7, Chapman 2
1. Ben Barad (T) def. Troy Akin (C) 7-5, 6-4
2. Nick Telkedzhiev (T) def. Kyle Coates (C) 6-3, 6-3
3. Jay Glickman (T) def. Brett Buford (C) 7-5, 6-2
4. Nick Mulflur (C) def. Andrew Lutz (T) 6-4, 3-6, 7-6 (2)
5. Austin Blau (T) def. Chris Williams (C) 6-1, 6-3
6. Rob Jacobson (T) def. Hunter Morris (C) 6-0, 6-1
T - 3-0; C - 3-5.