Braun Nets Two as Men's Soccer Records 6-0 Victory Against Trinity on Sunday

HARTFORD, Conn. – The Jumbo men's soccer team coasted to a 6-0 victory over NESCAC opponent Trinity College on Sunday at Trinity Soccer Field.

Joe Braun notched his third game-winning goal of the year

Junior forward Joe Braun scored the first Jumbo goal as he kicked the ball away from Bantam freshman goalie Everett Lyons in the 18th minute. Braun would finish the match with two goals.

Tufts (11-0-2, 6-0-2 NESCAC) came out fast less than 24 hours after the conclusion of their double overtime match against Connecticut College. Trinity (2-11-0, 0-9-0 NESCAC) had its second game in two days as well. The Jumbos' junior midfielder Brett Rojas put two shots on net within a 15-second span in the seventh minute of action, but Lyons came up with two big early saves for the Bantams.

The Braun goal in the 18th minute was his fourth goal of the season and gave Tufts a 1-0 advantage.

Rojas came back down the field a minute later and had his strike stopped by Lyons to keep the margin at 1-0. Tufts junior midfielder Gavin Tasker had a chance in the 24th minute that went just left of the goal. Braun was able to find his way through the Bantam defense, but missed a shot high as the Jumbos continued looking to expand the lead.

Junior midfielder Jack Delaney of the Jumbos had a corner kick in the 34th minute that found the foot of senior back Sterling Weatherbie within a bunch of players and Weatherbie put the ball in the back of the net to give Tufts a 2-0 edge. The goal was Weatherbie's third of the season.

Senior midfielder Jarod Glover of Tufts created another chance in the 43rd minute, but Lyons again made a good save for the Bantams. Trinity had its best chance of the half in the 45th minute when sophomore midfielder Nigel Gustave put one on net that was saved by senior goaltender Conner Mieth.

In the first half, the Jumbos outshot the Bantams 10 (six on goal) to one (one on goal). Lyons recorded four first-half saves and Mieth tallied one save. The Jumbos attempted the only two corner kicks in the first 45 minutes of action. Tufts' defense was fantastic and Trinity had a tough time moving the ball up the field.

Tufts found a rhythm in the first half offensively which carried over into the second half. In the 50th minute, junior midfielder Zach Lane broke up the right sideline and was able to put a strike into the goal to increase the lead to 3-0 while recording his third goal this season.

Trinity created a quality opportunity in the 53rd minute when Gustave had another shot that went just high of the goal. Rojas a minute later found Braun up the field as the junior forward scored his second goal of the contest and gave the Jumbos a 4-0 advantage. Rojas picked up his team-leading fifth assist of the year and the Braun goal was his fifth this season.

The Bantams came back down the field in the 57th minute as sophomore midfielder Alistair Matule fired a shot just wide of the net. Tufts freshman back Ian Daly and junior midfielder Zach Trevorrow also found the back of the net in the second half for the Jumbos. Daly picked up his second goal and Trevorrow his first goal of the year. Bantam sophomore goalie Andrew Clark made a great save on Glover on a penalty kick in the 87th minute.

The Jumbos attempted 22 shots (15 on goal) to four (two on goal) for the Bantams. Lyons recorded a game-high five saves before being replaced. Tufts attempted five corner kicks in the contest. Each team committed seven fouls and there were three yellow cards handed out. There were 22 Jumbos who participated in the contest as Tufts recorded their eighth shutout of the year.

Tufts' next game will be on Saturday when they host Williams at 2:30 pm. Trinity will travel to Wheaton next Sunday for a non-conference match at 2:00 pm.


Written By Athletic Communications Intern Bryan Costello