Pair of First-Half Goals Lead Men's Soccer to Win at Wheaton for 5-0 Start

NORTON - The third-ranked Jumbo men's soccer team scored two first-half goals and it was enough for a 2-1 victory in a non-conference contest at Wheaton College on Sunday.

Ian Daly netted his first college goal to put Tufts up 1-0

Tufts (5-0) controlled the middle of the field and the tempo early, generating a quality scoring opportunity on a shot by junior midfielder Brett Rojas in the fourth minute that was saved by Lyon goalie Diego Medina. The Jumbos then broke the scoreless tie in the 19th minute off of a corner kick by Rojas that was booted in the goal by freshman back Ian Daly for his first collegiate goal.

The Jumbos' Rojas then had two opportunities stopped by Medina which would've expanded the lead. Wheaton (4-3) came back with their best shot of the half when midfielder JD Souza had a chance stopped by Jumbo senior goaltender Conner Mieth.

Tufts would strike again in the 41st minute with a tally by sophomore forward Max Jacobs to extend the lead to 2-0. This was Jacobs' third goal in five games this season.

In the first half, the Jumbos outshot the Lyons 11 (five on goal) to five (one on goal). Medina recorded three saves and Mieth stopped one shot in the first 45 minutes. Tufts generated three corners to Wheaton's one corner.

The Jumbos came out aggressive generating three corner kick opportunities within four minutes to start the second half. Tufts junior midfielder Gavin Tasker had a chance to extend the lead with a shot that was stopped in the 60th minute by goaltender Peter Pond, who subbed in at halftime. Tufts got another quality shot from junior forward Joe Braun in the 62nd minute saved by Pond.

The Lyons would score the first goal of the season against Tufts when Shawn McCall headed the ball into the net in the 72nd minute on a beautiful pass from Curran Wait to cut the deficit to 2-1.

The Jumbos took the kick right after the goal and junior midfielder Jack Delaney recorded a shot that was saved by Pond. Wheaton had a great opportunity in the 84th minute when Wait had a chance that was saved by Mieth. The last chance the Lyons were able to muster came in the 86th minute on a corner from Souza that was knocked away by the Jumbos.

The Jumbos outshot the Lyons 20 (nine on goal) to nine (three on goal) for the game. Lyons goaltender Peter Pond led the game with four saves in 45 minutes. Tufts generated nine corner kicks to Wheaton's two.

This was a physical contest with a total of 29 fouls called and three yellow cards. Rojas recorded a game-high five shots. Mieth improved to 5-0 on the season in net for the Jumbos with two saves.

Tufts' next match will be on Friday as they travel to Brandeis for a non-conference matchup at 7 pm. This is a rematch of the NCAA Elite 8 game won by the Judges last season. Wheaton's next contest will be Wednesday when they travel to Roger Williams in a non-conference tilt starting at 7 pm.


Written by Bryan Costello, Athletic Communications Intern