Balanced Attack Leads Men's Lacrosse to 24-6 Win Against Connecticut College

NEW LONDON, Conn. – The #3 Tufts University men's lacrosse team got goals from 15 different Jumbos in a 24-6 conference victory over Connecticut College on Saturday afternoon at Silfen Field. Tufts sophomore Max Waldbaum led the Jumbo offense with four goals and also dished out two assists.

Adam netted a hat-trick in the Jumbos 24-6 win on Saturday

Following the victory, Tufts improved to 9-0 overall and 4-0 in conference play. With the setback, Connecticut College falls to 3-6 and they are 0-4 in NESCAC action.

The Jumbos came out quick with a goal from junior long-stick Jack Donohue to take a 1-0 lead. Connecticut College junior Jack Rutter had a pair of quality chances to tie the game up, but his first shot was saved by Tufts' Mason Pollack and he hit the post on the second opportunity. Camel junior Colin Smith then made a pair of saves on Waldbaum and sophomore Garrett Samuelson in the middle of the first quarter before Tufts junior Matt Treiber fired a shot with 7:12 remaining in the first that beat Smith to give the Jumbos a two-goal edge. Rutter got the Camels on the board six minutes later to cut the Jumbo lead in half. Tufts senior Danny Murphy netted a goal off a pass from fellow senior Ben Connelly with 0:22 remaining in the quarter to give the Jumbos a 3-1 lead.

Pollack opened the second quarter with three saves within a two-minute span to keep the Jumbos ahead by two. The Jumbos then put five shots on goal during a three-minute stretch, but Smith stopped all five Jumbo attempts. Rutter then scored the first goal of the quarter off a pass from senior Jordan Foster to get within one goal. Less than a minute later, Foster netted a goal to tie the game up at 3-3.

The Jumbos came back two minutes later as Murphy scored a goal after Tufts' defense forced a Camel turnover. After the Murphy goal, Foster ripped another shot on goal, but Pollack stopped it. Connelly then responded with a goal to give Tufts a 5-3 edge with 4:32 left in the half. Connelly got another opportunity less than two minutes later, but Smith made a save. The Jumbos then capped the half with three more goals in the final three minutes to take an 8-3 lead after 30 minutes of action. Samuelson and freshman Mac Bredahl both scored man-up goals off passes from senior James Gilbert and Waldbaum found the back of the net with just seven seconds on the clock.

Tufts rode the momentum of scoring five unanswered goals to end the first half into the third quarter. Within the first four minutes of the third quarter, the Jumbos scored four times. Sophomore Bryce Adam scored off a pass from senior LSM Stewart Stockdale to give Tufts a 9-3 lead. Sophomore Kyle Helfrich then won the faceoff after the Adam goal to give the Jumbos the ball back and Waldbaum went on to score another Jumbo goal. Less than a minute later, Tufts scored two more goals with Donohue tallying again and senior John Cordrey adding one to put the Jumbos up 12-3.

The run continued as Murphy attacked the Camel defense with two shots within two possessions and got the second chance to go after being denied by Smith on the first shot. The Jumbos then earned a man-up opportunity with 9:41 remaining in the third and got a goal from Waldbaum with 0:19 left on the man-up chance. Tufts' defense forced yet another turnover after the Waldbaum goal, which led to a goal from Adam off a Murphy pass to give the Jumbos a 15-3 edge. Helfrich won another faceoff and got the Jumbos' red-hot offense the ball back and Waldaum put another goal on the board.

Foster ended what was a 13-0 Tufts run by scoring a goal with 6:02 remaining in the third. Over the final six minutes of the third, the Jumbos got goals from senior Nick Katz and Adam to take an 18-6 lead after three quarters of play.

Tufts scored six more goals in the fourth while holding the Camels to two goals to earn the 24-6 victory. The Jumbos got goals from Cordrey and freshmen Duke Alf, Jack Reid, Cam Kelleher, Joe Murtha, and Jack Pimental in the fourth. Rutter and freshman Nick Farnham scored the two Camel goals.

The Jumbos attempted 76 shots, 43 on goal, and the Camels recorded 31 shots, 21 on goal in the game. Tufts' defense was great all day as they only allowed six goals, which matched a season-low, and they also forced 23 Camel turnovers. Tufts scooped up 28 ground balls and Connecticut College collected 25.

Adam and Murphy also netted hat tricks for the Jumbos in the game. Connelly and Gilbert each recorded three assists. Bredahl, Kelleher, Donohue, and Cordrey tallied two points apiece. Pollack picked up his seventh win in net with eight saves during three quarters of play.

Rutter finished with a hat trick and attempted 10 shots to lead the Camels' offense. Foster also tallied three points with two goals and an assist. Farnham scored the other Camel goal in the game. Connecticut College sophomore Toby Almeida (17-30 on faceoffs) scooped up a game-high seven ground balls. Smith recorded 14 saves for the Camels (49-minutes + played).

Tufts will take the field next on Wednesday at 7pm when they host NESCAC foe No. 14 Williams College on Bello Field. Connecticut College is back in action on Wednesday as well when they travel to conference opponent Trinity College with a 6:30 pm start time.


Written By Athletic Communications Intern Bryan Costello