#4 Men's Lacrosse Overtakes #9 Stevens During Fourth Quarter for 19-17 Victory

HOBOKEN, N.J. – Down three goals early in the fourth quarter, the #4 Tufts University men's lacrosse team came from behind on the road to win 19-17 at #9 Stevens in an exciting non-league game Saturday afternoon.

Matt Treiber finished the game with nine points including seven goals.

The Jumbos had entered the fourth trailing 17-14. Junior Matt Treiber - who finished with seven goals and two assists - scored twice during a two-minute span in which Tufts tied the score at 17-17 with 7:59 on the clock. Senior co-captain Ben Connelly also scored. Jumbo junior goalie Mason Pollack made four saves as the teams played without scoring for most of the next six minutes. He had eight stops overall in the fourth in a tremendous effort. 

With the game tied at 17-17 and the clock winding down towards two minutes remaining in regulation, Stevens turned the ball over. Tufts took possession and sophomore Garrett Samuelson scored with 2:07 on the clock off a pass from Treiber. Freshman Kyle Helfrich won the ensuing face-off for Tufts with junior Jack Donohue picking up the ground ball. With one minute remaining, junior Nick Shanks added an insurance tally for the Jumbos. Tufts blanked Stevens 5-0 overall in the decisive fourth.

Stevens had led by as many as four goals in the first half, 11-7, when Eric Radbourne scored at the 10:51 mark of the second quarter. Tufts closed to 11-9 with back-to-back goals by Treiber, but Ryan Gebhardt and Ryan Caplis scored for the Ducks giving the hosts a 13-10 lead at the half.

The Jumbos rallied to tie the game at 14-14 by scoring four of the first five goals in the second half. The first collegiate goal by freshman Blake Sommi at 4:14 tied it. Treiber had a goal and an assist during the run while senior co-captain Danny Murphy lent two assists.

However, the Ducks took over the final four minutes of the third scoring three times to take a 17-14 advantage. Gebhardt netted the last two, including one with five seconds on the clock.

Tufts had held a slim advantage for most of the first quarter before the hosts scored three times in the final two minutes to gain a 7-6 lead after one.

Murphy finished with six assists for Tufts, a career-high and the most by a Jumbo since current assistant coach John Uppgren had eight in 2016. Samuelson recorded four goals with two assists and Connelly tallied three times. Helfrich won 18 of 31 faceoffs, Pollack made 17 saves and Evan Kulpan collected six groundballs for the visitors.

Gebhardt scored six times with an assist to lead the hosts. Max Bailey recorded three and three while Dean Peluso finished with three goals and an assist. Carson White made 15 saves in goal, but none in the fourth quarter. Brendan Monteleone caused two turnovers and scooped up three ground balls.

Shots were 55-49 in favor of Stevens, while face-offs were also a close 20-19 to Tufts. The Jumbos won ground balls 48-37 and both teams converted once on man-up situations.

Tufts returns home to host Endicott on Tuesday night at 7 pm. The Ducks are at Widener next Wednesday.