No. 3 Men's Lacrosse Takes Down No. 20 Connecticut College, 11-8

MEDFORD, Mass. – The Tufts University men's lacrosse team defeated Connecticut College, 11-8, Saturday afternoon at Bello Field.

Murphy led Tufts with four points in the game.

The Jumbos (7-0, 4-0 NESCAC) remain undefeated on the year and move to 4-0 against New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) competition. The Camels (6-2, 3-2 NESCAC) dropped their first game since March 17 after a string of three consecutive wins.

Tufts was led by Danny Murphy and Ben Connelly with the pair scoring three goals each as Murphy picked up an assist as well. Nick Shanks scored twice, while Matt Treiber, Frank Hattler, and Brian Powers all had one goal apiece. Hattler, as well as Stewart Stockdale, Griffin Johnson, Garrett Samuelson, and Bryce Adam all picked up an assist.

Jordan Foster led the way for Connecticut College as he scored three goals and had one assist. Maxx Trotsky had two goals and one assist and PJ Kelleher had a goals and two assists. Other goal scorers for the Camels include Jon Creed and Ryan Fish, with Creed and Sean Smith also recording assists. Ben Parens picked up a game-high six ground balls and Brian Maguire had a game-high two caused turnovers.

Mason Pollack minded the net for the Jumbos recording six saves over the course of the game. Jameson Hill started the game in goal for the Camels, making three saves, but was replaced early in the second quarter by Hunter Rosenthall who recoreded eight saves the rest of the way. At times, Tufts threatened to run away with this one, but Rosenthall kept Connecticut College in the game with a handful of impressive saves.

The Jumbos jumped out to a 2-0 lead to start things off with two goals from Murphy. But then the Camels ended the first quarter on a 3-0 run with goals by Trotsky, Fish, and Foster to take the lead heading into the second.

In the second quarter, Tufts used a 6-0 run over the course of the frame to take back the lead and stretch it out to a five goal advantage. That is how they would go into halftime.

The Camels took advantage of a couple man up opportunities in the beginning of the third quarter to score a pair of quick goals, both by Foster, and then added a third late in the quarter by Kelleher to climb back to within two. But the Jumbos would score on a man up opportunity of their own with two minutes remaining in the third to go into the final quarter up, 9-6.

In the fourth quarter the two sides traded a pair of goals to end things at 11-8, in favor of Tufts.

The game was evenly contested for the most part with the Jumbos holding the slight edge in both shots, 40-39, and successful clears, 14-for-16 to 14-for-18. Parens shined on faceoffs for the Camels winning 12-of-20 while helping to keep the Jumbo offense from having too many opportunities in the second half.

Tufts will travel to Williams next Wednesday for another NESCAC matchup as Connecticut College will play host to Trinity (Conn.) on the same day.


Written by Curtis Stoychoff, Athletic Communications Intern