No. 4 Men's Lacrosse Edges By No. 14 SUNY Cortland in Double Overtime, 16-15

MEDFORD, Mass. – The Tufts University men's lacrosse team defeated SUNY Cortland, 16-15, off a Frank Hattler goal in double overtime Sunday afternoon at Bello Field.

Hattler set career-highs in both goals (7) and points (8) in Sunday's game.

The Jumbos (6-0) came into the matchup ranked as the No. 4 team in the country with the Red Dragons (5-3) at No. 14. It was battle the entire time between these two highly-ranked sides.

Hattler led all scorers with eight points off of seven goals and one assist. Danny Murphy had two goals and four assists, Andrew Seiter scored three goals and assisted on one, and Ben Connelly scored twice. Henry Hollen had a team-high seven ground balls and Brian Powers caused a game-high five turnovers.

For Cortland, Terrence Haggerty led the way with four goals and one assist. Liam Erickson picked up three goals of his own, while Thomas McNaney and Joey Panariello each had one goal and two assists. Brian Williams had a game-high 11 groundballs has he went 16-for-29 in face offs.

Hattler's game-winner came with a minute left in the second overtime period. Beginning in the first overtime, both teams had their fair share of opportunities with each getting six shots off in the two extra periods. Hattler was hot all game and when he got a chance to end it he didn't disappoint. At the end of a long offensive possession that had already produced two quality shots, Hattler wound up and fired a shot by the Red Dragon's goalie to cap off his career-high seven goal day.

Tufts jumped out to a quick 3-0 lead in the first quarter with goals coming from Connelly, Matt Trieber, and Seiter, but Cortland would end the frame on a 4-0 run with three man-up goals in a row to take the lead.

The Dragons extended their lead to three goals in the second quarter after Danny Caroussos scored an unassisted goal with ten minutes remaining to go up, 7-4. The Jumbos would close out the half on a 4-1 run, highlighted by two goals from Seiter, to tie it up at the break, 8-8.

Cortland would take the early lead in the second half, scoring four of the first five goals. With four minutes remaining in the third, Tufts went on another 3-0 run this time getting goals from Connelly, Hattler, and Nick Shanks to go into the final quarter of play tied at 12.

In the fourth quarter, neither team was able to pull ahead by more than one. The Jumbos went up 14-13 after a goal by Murphy, but then the Dragons would answer back by scoring two in a row to take the 15-14 lead. With two minutes remaining in regulation, Cortland committed a penalty, giving Tufts the man-up opportunity of which they took advantage. Hattler scored his six of the game off the feed from Murphy to tie it up and send the game to overtime, only to outdo himself a few minutes later when he scored the game winner in the second extra period.

Robert Treiber got his third start of the season in goal for the Jumbos and recorded nine saves. On the other end, Joe Scalise put on a show making 17 saves.

Tufts won't play again until Saturday when they host Connecticut College. Cortland will host Plattsburgh on the same day.


Written by Curtis Stoychoff, Athletic Communications Intern