Men's Lacrosse Wins a Close One at NESCAC Foe Trinity, 16-14

HARTFORD, Conn. - The #4 ranked Tufts University men's lacrosse team overcame Trinity College in the final quarter, 16-14, in a New England Small Conference Athletic Conference (NESCAC) matchup on Saturday afternoon at Jessee/Miller Field in Hartford. The Jumbos improve to 5-0 overall and 3-0 in the conference while the Bantams fall to 2-4 on the season and 0-2 in the NESCAC.

Connelly had a team-high four goals.

Tufts junior attackman Ben Connelly scored four unanswered goals in the third quarter to lead the Tufts offense along with senior Andrew Seiter and sophomore Nick Shanks who scored three goals apiece. Junior Scott Morgan dominated in the circle for the Bantams, winning 21 of 33 faceoffs, and scooping up a game-high 11 ground balls. Seven Trinity players found the back of the net on the day, led by sophomore Andrew Collins who tallied a season-high four goals. Bantam Teddy Myers finished with six assists.

The Bantam offense came ready to play as they took an early 8-4 lead in the first quarter over the Jumbos, who came into the day yielding just seven goals per game to their opponents. Trinity sophomore Ben Ferrucci scored an early goal at the 14:13 mark, but Tufts' Danny Murphy responded quickly to even the score at 1-1. The teams went back and forth as first-year Stephen Decker scored an unassisted goal, but less than a minute later Tufts tied the game once again on Seiter's first tally. Ben Knaus recorded his only assist of the game on Collins' goal at the halfway point of the first quarter, but once again Tufts responded with the equalizer (Frank Hattler). Trinity came back with three-straight goals by Knaus, Matt DeLaMater, and Myers, who also had an assist on DeLaMater's goal, to open up a 6-3 advantage. Tufts' Shanks and Trinity's Collins and Drew Kozub scored the final goals of the quarter as the Bantams took an 8-4 lead into the second quarter.

Tufts scored four of the six goals in the second quarter, but was unable to take the lead against the Bantams. The first nine minutes of the half came and went without a goal before the Jumbo offense scored two goals in less than a minute from Shanks and Garrett Samuelson. Knaus netted his second goal of the game, assisted by Jack McInnis, to maintain the Trinity lead with 8:33 remaining before the half. After a man-up tally by Matt Treiber for the Jumbos, Collins scored his second goal of the half for the Bantams to go into halftime leading 10-8.

The Jumbos scored five unanswered goals, including one by Hattler and four from Connelly, to start the third quarter to give Tufts its first lead of the game. Knaus scored the first Bantam goal of the quarter with 3:40 left, followed by goals from DeLaMater and Ferrucci, both assisted by Myers, with under a minute left in the quarter to tie things at 13-13.

Seiter scored two goals in the final quarter, while sophomore Matt Trieber had another to give the Jumbos a three-goal lead with just over three minutes to play. Collins scored his fourth goal of the game with 2:48 left, but it was not enough for the Bantams.

Trinity senior goalie Woody Hamilton recorded 15 saves on the day while Tufts starting goalie Robert Treiber turned aside 11 shots.

The Jumbos are right back at it hosting Cortland tomorrow at Bello Field in a 1 p.m. start. Trinity returns to action on Tuesday evening at 6 p.m. when they take on Babson College under the lights at home.


Release courtesy of Trinity Athletics