Hockey Drops Opening Game of the Superior Showdown to Wisconsin-Superior, 2-1

SUPERIOR, Wisc. – The Tufts University Hockey team fell to the University of Wisconsin-Superior in their opening game of the Superior Showdown on Saturday evening on the campus of Wisconsin-Superior.

Sophomore Nick Schultze tallied his second goal of the season.

The Jumbos fall to 3-7-0 on the season while the Yellowjackets improve to 9-2-0.

The Yellowjackets jumped on the board early as they capitalized on a powerplay chance. Andrew Durham earned the goal with an assist going to Liam Blais at 2:44 of the opening frame.

Another first period tally would double the Yellowjacket lead. Troy York walked out of the left corner to the faceoff dot and fired a shot by junior goaltender Drew Hotte. Blais and Coltyn Bates earned assists on the goal at 10:39.

The period came to a close with the Yellowjackets outshooting the Jumbos, 14-4 in shots on goal and leading 2-0.

Tufts got an early opportunity in the second period following a turnover in the attacking zone. The puck was sent across the slot for junior Charley Borek who forced Yellowjacket goaltender, Oscar Svensson, to make the save.

The Jumbos capitalized on their first powerplay chance of the contest. Sophomore Nick Schultze fired a shot past the Svensson just after the five minute mark of the second period. That is the sophomore's second goal on the season. Senior assistant captain Ross Delabruere and sophomore Trevor Spence earned the assists on the powerplay goal.

Following a strong defensive stand by the Jumbos, they earned a three-on-one breaking through the neutral zone. A shot by senior assistant captain Machlan Sawden on the opportunity forced Svensson to make the save, which would be the last opportunity of the second period.

Through two periods, the Jumbos trailed 2-1 while the Yellowjackets held a 28-12 shots on goal advantage.

Tufts jumped on the attack early in the final regulation period as a shot towards goal was deflected just wide by junior Edward Hannon. The offensive attack was negated by a penalty, which the Jumbos killed off without a strong chance by the Yellowjackets. Tufts had another strong chance to score as Schultze fired a one-time shot on the powerplay that Svensson turned aside.

A pair of coincidental penalties were issued, one to each team. With the extra room on the ice, the Jumbos sprung a pass forward for sophomore Justin Brandt. His quick wrister forced the Yellowjacket goaltender to make a save. However, senior Jordan Haney was crashing for a rebound that Svensson made a save on.

The Jumbos pulled their goaltender with just over two minutes remaining in the third period. However, the Yellowjackets were strong on the puck and managed to clear the puck to center ice through the remaining time, which resulted in a 2-1 victory for the hosts.

The Yellowjackets outshot the Jumbos by a 37-22 margin. Tufts was 1 for 2 on the powerplay while Wisconsin-Superior was 1-3. From the faceoff dot, the Jumbos won 19 while the Yellowjackets won 22.

Hotte made 35 saves in the losing effort. He falls to 1-3-0 on the season. Svensson stopped 21 of 22 shots while improving to 7-2-0.

The Jumbos will play Bethel University in the consolation game of the Superior Showdown at 4 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.