Hockey Edged By Babson 2-1 in Local Non-Conference Action

MALDEN – The Tufts University hockey team fell to Babson College by a 2-1 score in non-conference action on Tuesday night at the Valley Forum.

Junior Hayden Smith tallied his first goal of the season.

The Jumbos fall to 0-5-0 on the season while the Beavers improve to 4-3-0.

Babson got on the board first at 11:19 into the first period as Patrick Flynn won a puck battle in the right corner. He saucered a pass to the left point for Ryan Campbell who one-timed a shot towards goal. The shot was deflected in front by Trevor Marcinik, which is his third tally of the year.

Tufts had a very strong opportunity to score in the period as junior Charley Borek found himself open in the slot. A pass came from the right corner for Borek, but his one-time shot went wide left.

Both teams sustained possession throughout the period as Babson held an early edge until the Jumbos rallied with their own possession. That included strong shots on goal by junior Hayden Smith, senior Ross Delabruere, and senior Cooper Stahl.

Smith tallied his first goal on the season, late in the second period, to tie the score. After a strong breakout, Borek found a shot pass for Delabruere. The senior assistant captain drove down the left wing and found Smith who was crashing for the far post. He quickly finished off the play before the Babson goaltender Aidan Murphy could slide across the goal.

The teams headed to the second intermission deadlocked at one.

Tufts had to kill off an early penalty in the third, which they did. However, Babson continued their attack. Ultimately, a turnover attempting to clear their defensive end by the Jumbos gave the Beavers the opportunity to regain the lead. Flynn forced the turnover in the slot and wheeled around the goal. He fired a wrap around that found its way into the back of the goal to give Babson a 2-1 lead midway through the third period.

Tufts earned a powerplay late in the contest after a boarding penalty was issued to Babson. However, a boarding penalty was assessed to the Jumbos just past the halfway point of their powerplay to negate the opportunity.

The Jumbos opted for an extra skater, leaving the net empty, with less than two minutes remaining in the contest, but they could not find the back of the goal. The best chance came on a faceoff play where sophomore Justin Brandt won the draw back to junior Tom Tresca who slid a pass across the blueline for senior defenseman Jordan Haney. Haney coiled and fired a one-time slapshot on goal. However, Murphy was there to make the save.

Babson outshot the Jumbos, 34-27. Tufts was assessed four penalties, totaling eight minutes. They killed off all four powerplay opportunities. Babson had one penalty, which they killed off. The Jumbos won 29 of 50 faceoffs.

Junior Drew Hotte made 32 saves on 34 shots on goal in the losing effort for Tufts. Murphy stopped 26 shots and improves to 4-0-0.

Tufts will travel to Saratoga Springs, N.Y. for the Skidmore Thanksgiving Invitational on Saturday. They matchup with Buffalo State at 5 pm. They will play their second game of the invitational on Sunday, opponent and time are TBA. Babson continues their road trip and will head to Williams College on Saturday for a 3 pm start.