Tutoni Scores OT Game-Winner as No. 3 Field Hockey Beats No. 16 Amherst 3-2 on Homecoming

MEDFORD – Senior co-captain Gigi Tutoni scored two goals on Homecoming Day as the No. 3 Tufts field hockey team beat conference opponent and No. 16 Amherst 3-2 in overtime Saturday afternoon at Ounjian Field.

Gigi Tutoni scored both the game-tying and game-winning goals

With the win, the Jumbos remain unbeaten and hold a 7-0 record. Tufts remains perfect in conference play with a 4-0 record, and will be back home tomorrow at noon as they host No.14 conference opponent Hamilton. Amherst falls to 4-3 with the loss, and they will be on the road this Tuesday as they face conference opponent Connecticut College.

Both the Jumbos and Mammoths had to stay fresh after almost a two-hour delay was put into place before today's contest due to no game officials. However, as the first half started, both teams possessed the ball well.

Fighting hard in the Jumbos' defensive zone, the Mammoths were able to get a penalty corner. In the 12th minute, Laura Schwartzman for the Mammoths took their penalty corner, and passed it to the top of the circle to Kendall Codey. Codey was able to use quick stick movement to dance around Jumbo defenders. Creating a moment of brief separation, Codey ripped a shot towards goal that trickled past players on both teams, eventually getting deflected by a Jumbo in front goalkeeper Emily Polinski for a 1-0 Amherst lead.

Nearing the end of the first half with the same score, the Jumbos looked to get on the board.  With less than a minute left remaining, Tufts evened the score. Off a penalty corner, freshman Sophie Schoeni received the initial pass from junior Marguerite Salamone. Schoeni handled the ball comfortably in the circle, and dished it to a waiting Rachel Hamilton. Hamilton took no time and ripped a shot towards net, which slipped past a lunging Amherst goalkeeper Katie Savage. The Jumbos were able to even the score, and at half it was a 1-1 game.

Roughly 11 minutes into the second half, the Mammoths took a 2-1 lead. Franny Daniels went from left to right and dribbled towards the outer edge of the circle. Daniels sent the ball towards the left corner of net, and it went past Polinski as Amherst took the lead. The Jumbos have proven thus far that they are resilient, and won't go down without a fight. Just a little under five minutes later, we were even once again. At the top of the circle, Hamilton put a shot towards goal, which got deflected into the air by a Mammoth defender. Tutoni had been waiting under it, and put her stick into the air to strike it. With a great connection, Tutoni put the ball into the back of the net, as the crowd cheered with amazement.

With that goal the Jumbos and Mammoths were tied once again, which is what the end of regulation would look like. Heading into overtime, each team sent out their seven players. The Jumbos wouldn't need much time to capitalize. Amherst turned the ball over in their own end, which proved to be the difference in the game. The Jumbos had numbers, and were heading straight towards the goal. Tutoni once again had an opportunity in front of the net, the ball found her, and she was able to rip a shot past Savage for the 3-2 overtime win. This was a great start for Homecoming weekend, as both the players and fans went wild after the goal.

The Jumbos had a total of 26 shots, while the Mammoths had a total of two. Eight penalty corners were given to Tufts, while Amherst only had one. Goalkeeper Katie Savage had a total of seven saves for the visitors. 


Written by Athletics Communications Intern Ryan Servant