Men's Lacrosse Knocked Out of NCAA Tournament by Wesleyan Cardinals, 17-8

Recap courtesy of Wesleyan University

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - For the third time this season, the No. 4 Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team defeated No. 12 Tufts University as the Cardinals posted a 17-8 win over the Jumbos Saturday in the third round of the 2017 NCAA Division III Championships.

Junior Harry Stanton scored seven goals to lead Wesleyan (19-1), who advances to the NCAA Quarterfinals against Bates College on Wednesday (May 17). Tufts, led this afternoon by three goals and three assists from sophomore Danny Murphy, saw their season come to an end with a 13-6 record.

Wesleyan came out hot to start the game and scored the first four goals. Stanton scored three of the four, with the first occurring at the 13:11 mark and the third goal with 5:53 to play in the first. Senior Michael Mattson ended the run with the Jumbos' first goal of the game at the 1:43 mark as they took advantage of a man-up opportunity.

Ahead 4-1 entering the second quarter, Stanton quickly increased the Cardinals' lead to five following back-to-back unassisted scores at the 14:50 and 13:56 marks. Tufts went on a 3-0 run in just over two minutes of play to cut the deficit to two with 11:13 remaining in the half. Senior Zach Richman, junior Frank Hattler and Murphy had the tallies. However, the home team responded with a run of its own and scored the final four goals of the half, including three from sophomore Carter Hawthorne, as Wesleyan held a 10-4 lead at the break.

Stanton scored five goals in the first 30 minutes of action to lead all players, while Mattson and Murphy led Tufts with two points each.

The Cardinals scored the first two goals of the second half to increase their lead to eight, 12-4. Tufts responded with two man-up goals to get within six once again, as junior Andrew Seiter and Mattson scored on the man-advantages to pull Tufts within 12-6. However, senior Tom Dupont received a pass from Stanton and found the back of the net with :38 on the clock to give Wesleyan a 13-6 lead entering the fourth quarter.

Hawthorne recorded two more assists in the final 15 minutes of play as a goal by Dupont with 8:40 left in regulation essentially put the game out of reach as the home team took a 15-6 lead. Murphy and Stanton exchanged two goals each down the stretch as Wesleyan prevailed with a decisive nine-goal victory.

Stanton finished with a game-high eight points on seven goals and one assist. He set a Wesleyan single-season program record. He now has 77 goals through 20 games, surpassing the old mark of 73 set by John Landay during the 2001 season. In the first meeting against Tufts, Stanton tied a program record with eight goals and added two assists. In three meetings against this Jumbos this year, he had 24 points on 19 goals and five assists. The junior attack also led all players with five caused turnovers Saturday, and added four ground balls as he did a little bit of everything.

Hawthorne and Dupont each finished with three goals, while Hawthorne and sophomore Christian Barker led the Cardinals with two assists each. Freshman Zach Zavalick picked up a team-high five ground balls and was 15-of-28 on face-offs, while senior goalie Ted Bergman was terrific in net and finished with 13 saves.

In addition to Murphy's six-point game, Mattson added two goals with an assist for Tufts. Tucker Mathers pulled in a game-high eight ground balls and Connor Lansdale caused three turnovers. In net, sophomore Ben Shmerler and junior Robert Treiber combined for 11 saves with Treiber making seven.