Wesleyan Scores with 19 Seconds Left to Defeat Men's Lacrosse 17-16

Recap courtesy of Wesleyan University

MIDDLETOWN, Conn. - Senior Tom Dupont scored with 19 seconds left in the fourth quarter to give the host Wesleyan University men's lacrosse team a thrilling 17-16 come-from-behind NESCAC win over Tufts University on Saturday afternoon at Jackson Field.

Frank Hattler netted a career-high four goals and six points

Junior Harry Stanton of the ninth-ranked Cardinals tied a program record with eight goals, including four in the final 15 minutes of play. With the win, Wesleyan set a program record with 13 consecutive victories. The Cardinals are 13-1 overall and 8-1 in the league.

Third-ranked Tufts (11-3, 6-3 NESCAC) was led by sophomore Danny Murphy and junior Frank Hattler, as they finished with five and four goals, respectively. They also dished out two assists each.

The visiting Jumbos led 12-8 with 9:43 remaining on the third-quarter clock following a goal by Murphy assisted by senior Michael Mattson. However, the Cardinals rallied down the stretch and scored three unanswered goals to close out the third and cut the deficit to one entering the fourth quarter, 12-11.

The final 15 minutes of action featured a total of 10 goals. Ahead 13-12 with 13:51 on the clock, Tufts received goals from senior Zach Richman and Hattler to go up three (15-12) with 10:55 remaining in regulation. Wesleyan responded with three consecutive goals from Stanton, including two man-up scores at the 9:47 and 7:47 marks, to even the game at 15-15. It was the first time the game was tied since the 12:18 mark of the first quarter.

Hattler put Tufts back on top with 6:10 to play, but Stanton knotted the game at 16-16 with 2:32 remaining on the clock. Dupont would send one into the back of the net for the game-winner with just :19 left to play. The Cardinals won the ensuing faceoff and ran out the clock to seal the victory.

Wesleyan had got on the board first just 47 seconds into play as junior Cole Turpin took advantage of a man-up situation. However, Tufts responded with a 3-0 run in just over two minutes to get a lead. Dupont cut the deficit to one at the 7:31 mark, but the Jumbos scored 14 seconds later. Both teams exchanged goals in the final five minutes as Tufts held a 5-3 lead after one. Sophomore Ben Connelly scored twice in the first for Tufts, including a man-up goal at 3:13.

The second quarter began exactly the same way the first did with a man-up goal from Turpin, followed by a 3-0 Jumbo run to give the visitor's an 8-4 lead. After the teams went back-and-forth with a goal each, Tufts entered the break with a 9-5 halftime lead.

Stanton finished with 10 points on eight goals and two assists for the hosts. The eight goals tie the program record set by Bruce McKenna in 1984. Additionally, Dupont and sophomore Christian Barker each finished with two goals and two assists, while freshman Zach Zavalick won 20 of 32 face-offs and finished with a game-high 11 ground balls. Senior goalie Ted Bergman made 11 saves in net for his 13th win of the season.

Mattson added two goals and two assists to the Tufts attack. Junior defenseman Arend Broekmate finished with five groundballs and senior Tucker Mathers collected three. Broekmate also caused two turnovers. Ben Shmerler started in net and made 11 saves in the first half, while jujnior Robert Treiber earned the nod in the second half and made seven stops.

Wesleyan won 23 of 35 face-offs overall and held a 44-35 advantage in ground balls. The Cardinals also scored five man-up goals. Shots were 52-50 in favor of the hosts.

Wesleyan wraps up the 2017 regular season on Wednesday at Connecticut College. The game is scheduled to start at 4:30 p.m. The Jumbos play their regular-season finale on Wednesday at Bowdoin (7 p.m.).