Hockey Plays to First 0-0 Tie in Program's Modern Era Versus Connecticut College

MALDEN - The Tufts University men's hockey team and Connecticut College played to a 0-0 draw in a NESCAC game at Valley Forum on Friday night. The 0-0 tie is the first for the Jumbo program since varsity hockey was reinstated at Tufts in 1986. The Camels have not played in a scoreless game dating back to the 1999-2000 season, which is as far back as their available records go.

Nik Nugnes recorded his second shutout of the season

Tufts senior goalie Nik Nugnes and Connecticut College sophomore Connor Rodericks both earned the shutouts. Nugnes made 24 saves to record his second shutout of the season and fourth of his career. He had a 4-0 victory against Amherst back on January 13. Rodericks stopped 25 shots tonight to post the second shutout of both his season and career. He blanked Middlebury back on December 1 by a 5-0 score.

The point is important for the Jumbos as it pushes them past Bowdoin into eighth place in the conference standings. Tufts (4-11-4, 3-7-3 NESCAC) has nine points in the league, one ahead of Bowdoin and three in front of 10th-place Middlebury. The Jumbos are undefeated in their last three games and are 3-2-3 since January 9. The Camels (8-9-2, 7-4-2) held on to second place in NESCAC with the tie. They are 5-1-2 since January 13.

Both teams had good scoring chances in all three periods. Early in the first, a shot by Tufts freshman Charley Borek was saved by Rodericks and then it glanced off the post. Not long after that, Camel senior Chris Jellison received the puck alone in front of the net, but his shot missed wide as he tried to pick the corner.

In the second period, Connecticut College's Ryan Petti came up with a turnover in his defensive end and found sophomore Jacob Moreau coming on to the ice from the bench at the offensive blue line. Moreau dished it back to Petti for an open shot, but Nugnes made the save. Later in the period, at the end of a Connecticut College power play, Jumbo sophomore Tyler Scroggins capitalized on a Camel miscue and broke in alone down the right side, but Rodericks stoned him.

Tufts had a 10-8 shots advantage in the third, but Connecticut College had more opportunities in the five-minute overtime session with three chances. Neither team was able to capitalize on third-period power plays and both were blanked with the extra man for the game (Camels 0-3, Jumbos 0-2). Tufts earned a 25-24 edge in shots.

Petti was dangerous for the Camels all night, putting six shots on goal. Tufts sophomore defenseman Jordan Haney blocked three shots while Scroggins won 17 of 27 face-offs.

The teams meet again tomorrow night in New London, Connecticut with a 7 p.m. start.